The Union of Three Churches
Falkirk Trinity Church was created in February 2014 following the merger of Falkirk Old & St. Modan’s Parish Church with The Erskine Church.
Prior to this tradition tells us that the church at Falkirk was founded as part of the Celtic mission of St Modan in the 7th century. The community of Falkirk grew up round the first church building and all those that followed occupied the same site until the present day. From 1166 the church was in the hands of the Augustinian Canons of Holyrood Abbey and most of the revenues from the rich farm lands of the district disappeared to the east! Around 1450 a new sanctuary was built and it served the huge parish of Falkirk until the Reformation in 1560 when it became part of the reformed Church of Scotland. In 1811 the congregation decided to replace the old building but to retain the original square tower and the octagonal bell tower which had been added in 1738. The new sanctuary was added to the north of the tower and is essentially unchanged in the 200 years since. Fine stained glass was installed in 1857 and 1896 and a pipe organ in 1893. In the same decade the upper hall with crypt below was added to the south front.
In 1929 on the reunion with the United Free Church, the Parish Church was named Falkirk Old which remained until the union with St Modan’s on the 22nd of October 1986 when the joint name Falkirk Old & St Modan’s Parish Church was adopted.